When I first met my Italian husband (and his two Italian bambinos) I don’t think I was prepared for the amount of pizza I was destined to consume for the rest of my life.
But between feeding picky eaters, limited time on the nights we get to see them, and an agreed upon love for all things delicious – we found ourselves frequenting the same 4 or 5 pizza places over the years. And now that I have my own Pizza-Lovin-Italian-Bambino to add to the mix, we are no strangers to most of the pizza places in the area!
While I’m no “foodie”, I can tell you that these places are kid friendly, kid and parent approved and are all good enough to have us coming back over and over again – year after year!
So without further ado, our favorite pizza places in Dallas (in no particular order) —
1. Grimaldi’s — While I claim no particular order, my husband would argue that Grimaldi’s is #1. I think it’s his obsession with NYC – the original Grimaldi’s is located under the Brooklyn Bridge in NY (and is said to have lines down the street and around the corner). But I do have to agree that this thin crust pizza, baked in a coal-fired brick oven, is top contender! True NY style – with thin (but not too crispy) crust, handmade mozzarella cheese, the freshest ingredients, and special NYC water (I kid you not!) – this pizza won’t disappoint! Be sure to ask for some pizza dough for you kids to play with to keep them busy while their pizza cooks. Even better – try to sit next to the brick ovens and you can watch them prepare your ‘Za! Just be sure to end the night with their famous cannoli – you will NOT regret it! And with 4 locations in the DFW area there is probably one close to you!
2. Sals — More than just a pizzeria, this Italian restaurant has won several awards for their pizza and authentic Italian food! The atmosphere is relaxed, so it’s the perfect place to take the whole family – we love visiting with both sets of grandparents and all the kids and taking over half the restaurant! Miles is usually running around or spilling something and it’s never a problem. The kids love the fresh bread they bring out before dinner. We love the reasonable wine list and the simple dinner salad with the house dressing. Don’t expect fancy – expect lettuce, one olive and a pepperoncini. But the food is great and the bill is even better! Our favorite is the location off Wycliff, but the Plano location is just as awesome (if not a tad smaller.)
3. Eddie’s Napoli’s — another great family Italian restaurant, this place has the feel of being straight out of Italy. Which means – don’t go there in a rush – it’s definitely more of a relaxed atmosphere. But the pizza is fresh and good, the stromboli is as big as your head, and the warm bread and marinara sauce just keeps on a-coming! All of those ingredients equals happy kids in our family! We’ve tried the Garland location (and that’s our favorite) and the one at Firewheel. Both were great!
4. Campisi’s — Family owned and operated for 65 years with 8 locations in the DFW area, you can’t go wrong with Campisi’s! No frills, no muss – just good hot food and a family friendly atmosphere. Ask for fresh bread to hold you over until the pizza arrives and the kiddos will be happy all night! I suggest going to the original location off Mockingbird and sitting where Jack Ruby and Frank Sinatra once sat in this iconic Dallas location.
5. Eno’s — If you love good beer with your pizza – this is the place! Eno’s (in the Bishop Arts district in Oak Cliff) would make a great date night OR family night! With big tables upstairs for larger parties – we love to meet friends and their kids for some pizza pies and drinks (drinks pre-baby bump for me, that is). Yummy appetizers, fancy salads, crispy pizza — after all that food you might not have room for dessert… but our kids always have room for their delish ice cream Sunday!
Did I missed one of your favorite pizza places? Let us know in the comments – I’d love to try someplace new!