If you have ever been in a Costco, it can be overwhelming. The store itself is massive and is full of a variety of everyday merchandise. Everything is sold in bulk at a 25% to 75% discount. The markdowns are attractive, but it can be very easy to overspend and waste money as you try out a new products.
Over the last five years, my family has “fine-tuned” what we buy at Costco and it has saved us money. If you’re curious whether a Costco membership would be beneficial for your family or if your inner couponer would approve of their prices, here is some of my family-of-four’s favorite Costco buys…
- Kirkland Paper Towels – They are durable and come in a twelve pack.
- Kirkland Unscented Baby Wipes, 900 count – These have saved my life! Kirkland wipes are thick, durable, and come in packs that seal easily. I use these to spot clean just about everything in my house…kids included.
- Kirkland Citrus Body Wash – This 27 ounce body wash comes in a 2-pack and is made from plant extracts. Plant-based cleaning products are very pricey in the grocery store, so I was excited to find this.
- Diapers – Costco sells Huggies and Kirkland brand diapers for around $0.16 each. (Typical Name-Brand diapers run anywhere from $0.25-$0.42 each depending on the size and count.)
- Kirkland Environmentally Responsible Laundry Detergent, 126 loads – This detergent is great for people with sensitive skin!
- Little Critters Gummy Vitamins, 200 count – These vitamins do not contain any chemical food dyes.
- Tillamook Medium and Sharp Cheddar Cheese – If you have never tried Tillamook…you need to immediately! Costco sells this cheese in 2 lb blocks.
- Cooking Oils – We buy both Kirkland Organic Olive Oil (2L) and Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Oil (1.5L) for around a half the cost that is typical of other stores.
- Kirkland Organic Peanut Butter, 2 Pack – These 2-28 ounce jars are the same cost as a single 16 ounce jar at the grocery store.
- Clif Kid Z Bars, 24 Pack – Z Bars make great snacks and are easy to pack for school lunches. My kids actually think these are dessert bars!
- Pirates Booty – This cheesy popcorn is so addictive! Costco sells Pirates Booty in large 24 ounce bags for the same price as an 8 ounce bag at the grocery store.
- Coffee, K-Cups and Beans – Costco sells many brands of coffee such as Newman’s Own, Starbucks, and Kirkland. We have a Keurig and buy our K-Cups for around 25 cents to 47 cents each depending on the brand.
PJ’s Organic Burritos, 8 Pack – These are perfect for a quick and easy lunch!
- Frozen Fruit and Vegetables – Costco sells both conventional and organic frozen fruit in large 3 lb bags. Perfect for fruit smoothies!
- Fruit and Vegetables – Fruits and vegetables are sold at a deep discount for those willing to buy the produce in large portions. My family loves berries so we have no problem finishing Costco-sized packs before they spoil.
- Wine – Costco is one of the largest wine wholesalers in the United States.
If you can stick to the plan, weekend trips to Costco can be beneficial for your time and budget. Not to mention, Costco trips make great Saturday morning family outings to browse the free sample stations and add new finds to your wish list.
Which remind me of one last tip. . . Do NOT let your husband look in the electronics section!