Do you make New Year’s resolutions?
Lose weight, eat better, get organized, volunteer, spend less, save more?
You know the drill.
I’m not one for New Year’s resolutions because well, let’s face it, I don’t want to let myself down. There are, however, many things that I do resolve to do All. Year. Long.
One of my on-going goals is to keep our home clean and tidy.
If ever I thought that was a difficult task – enter two dogs, a husband and three young boys – now we’re talking practically impossible!
For me, a clean house is more than just a visual success. For me, it’s an emotional success.
A clean and tidy house brings me Peace. Happiness. Tranquility.
So how does a full-time working mom make it work? Friends! No, I don’t ask my friends to clean my house (although if you’re reading this and you’re my friend and you feel so moved, please, come on over!).
I utilize the knowledge, secrets, tips and tricks that they use to help them keep up with it all. You see, in many realms of life, we’d all be so much better off if we all knew what we all know.
I’m so very fortunate to be part of a wonderful group in my neighborhood – the Early Childhood PTA. If you have children under 6 and you’re not already a member of your local EC PTA, I would highly recommend you join today!
According to the group’s website, they are a “community-wide, non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing the lives of children, equipping parents of preschoolers (ages birth to 6 years) with valuable parenting tools and enriching the community.”
What they don’t tell you is that they are also an amazing group of women (and a few men) who are constantly striving to help others in their neighborhood. That’s where the “if we all knew what we all know” comes in.
My absolute favorite part of the group is the sharing of information. Sharing of what makes life easier. Sharing of those juicy little nuggets that you discovered and want to share with the rest of the world.
If We All Knew What We All Know: Housekeeping 101
- Let’s start with that pesky, piled-so-high, pitiful laundry. The secret to laundered success? A load a day. From start to finish. Wash/Dry/Fold/Put Away. Once a day. Just try it. You’ll be a changed woman indeed!
- Do what Kendra does and make Magic Eraser and Soft Scrub your new best friends. She says the combo – admittedly not the greenest of solutions – will “turn anything clean and sparkly new!”
- Another not-so-green yet oh-so-effective product that one of my mommy friends loves is…wait for it….Fabuloso! According to Jenni, this brightly colored liquid truly lives up to its name. She uses it everywhere and is most proud of a trick she learned to woo guests in her home – pour some in the sinks and toilets to make everything smell so fresh and so clean.
Personally, I’ve yet to try it, but I will say that I recently bought a jug of it, and we have guests coming over this weekend. I’ll be putting it to the test for sure. And in the final words of Jenni, “Prepare to have your mind blown!”
- Sally, Monica & so many other mom friends of mine swear by the genius of the cordless vacuum and/or cordless hand vac. Everyone also agrees, keep it in close proximity to the kitchen, and it’ll make cleaning up after the littles (and everyone else for that matter) a snap. Sally’s current favorite cordless vacuum is the Electrolux Ergorapido, and Monica’s favorite handheld is the Black & Decker Cordless Pivoting Hand Vac.
- While we’re on the topic of vacuuming, Nicole (along with several other very busy mommy friends) loves her Roomba. She lets hers loose during the littles’ bath times, and by the time they’re done, the Roomba’s cleaned up the day’s floor mess! So if you’re able and willing to fork over the cash needed to secure one of these little gems, it’ll evidently be worth its weight in gold
- The dreaded bathrooms – make the bathroom cleaning a breeze by doing what Jessica does – keep the bathroom cleaning supplies IN the bathroom and/or shower. It’ll take you less time to do, and you’ll likely do it more often (which in turn will make each cleaning session that much less intensive).
- Baskets & buckets & bins, oh my! I admit it. I have an addiction. I’m obsessed with pretty storage of every kind, and stores like Home Goods, Michael’s & Target don’t help matters any. But hear me out….if nothing else, baskets are my secret to the appearance of an orderly home. That’s right…pick it up and throw it in a basket! In a pinch, you can make a whirlwind trip around your house and get everything picked up in a flash…as long as it has a home. And what better home than a pretty little basket or bin?!?
- Last but not least, become a Human Conveyor Belt. Always be picking up something and moving it to its home (or at least closer to its home – case in point – bottom of the staircase). If you’re not already accustomed to doing this, then it may take a little getting used to. But once you form the habit (give it a couple of weeks), you’ll be hooked. It’s my number 1 way (coupled with the baskets & bins) to keep clutter at bay.