Now that summer is here, we all need at least one new good book to throw in our pool/beach (wishful thinking) bag!
But between a home reno that will never end, homeschooling, a hubby who travels for work, and a Facebook addiction (keeping it real) – finding time to read seems impossible.
But we all know the benefits of making ourselves a priority. And reading is such a great way to escape and decompress. Not to mention the love of reading that I want to demonstrate for my kids! So I’ve asked a few of my fellow contributors for help to come up with the perfect summer reading list for us.
Pro tip — several contributors suggested audio books as a genius way to keep up with their love of books during this busy toddler-season of our lives!
(Amazon links for convenience. Or hit up one of my favorite play places for the kids – a local book store!)
- Confessions of a Domestic Failure by Bunmi Laditan — This is the third book by Bunmi, and if you don’t follow her on Facebook – you should start now and go read all her old posts. She loves to make moms feel better for their mac and cheese dinners and wine in the bathtub after bedtime. She’s also the genius behind The Honest Toddler and everything she says makes me laugh and nod in agreement!
- One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories by B. J. Novak — A collection of fun, weird, funny short stories by the hilarious actor from The Office. I’m digging short stories because it feels like less of a commitment in my busy mom life.
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins — The movie was okay, but the book was full of mystery and even if you think you know who did it – I was still happy with the end.
- The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey — Cool sci-fy book that is not what I expected, but I loved it! Made into a movie, available online. I liked the movie too!
- 11/20/63 by Stephen King — I have stayed clear of King’s horror novels, so I had no idea what an amazing author he is. This book, about the Kennedy assassination is the fastest 700+ page read you’ll ever pick up!
- Bossypants by Tina Fey — If you like Tina Fey, you will love her book. You’ll laugh out loud, people will stare, then see the book cover and nod in solidarity.
Krystal Hurst — Our fearless leader, listed her current favorites in no particular order.
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
- Love Walked In by Marisa De Los Santos
- The Magnolia Story by Chip Gaines
- The Marriage Lie by Kimberly Belle — Great summer read
- The Buried Book by D. M. Pulley — Great summer read
- The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware — Great summer read
- And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini — More serious
- 11/20/63 by Stephen King — More serious
Katie Walter’s must reads!
- The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls — “Re-reading this all time fav, since it’s releasing as a movie this year”
- Half Broke Horse by Jeannette Walls — “Love, love, love!”
Jennifer Akin’s top picks.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- Bossypants by Tina Fey
- Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall — “Awesome and set locally.”
Gabriella Harris Cullen’s favs.
- The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
- All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda
- Devil in the White City by Erik Larson — “Couldn’t put it down”
Carly Christopher Brasseux
- You Before Me by Jojo Moyes
- After You by Jojo Moyes — the sequel to the aforementioned.
- The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
- Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks — “I could not put it down! The movie premiered last week on HBO, starring Oprah.”
So put the kids to bed, grab an iced tea or a chilled rosé and get to reading!
Anything else you recommend we pick up?