My husband and I recently revealed to our families the gender of our second child, and unlike our first, I felt a mixture of emotions when thinking of a creative way to do so. With our first, we’d come up with the idea of doing a Gender Reveal party (And I’m proud to say, we came up with the idea before it was cool!) It was so exciting to come up with the plan, decorate, and share the big news with our family since our child was going to be the first grandchild on both sides! When it was time to share the news again, it was hard to imagine how we were going to top the fun. And what if the sex was the same? Would it be as exciting to discover “Oh, it’s another boy…”?
I’d ultimately decided that no matter what the gender was, this time we were going to play it simple and not even try to outdo myself. That’s when my husband stepped up to the plate, and came up with this clever and simple way to make our gender reveal fun!
We ran to Target and purchased a much-needed Scrabble board, and removed the tiles we’d need. No, we didn’t spell out “It’s a Boy” or “It’s a Girl.” That would have been too obvious! Instead, we scrambled up the name we’d decided on and made it a game for his family. After almost 5 minutes, they finally had their second grandchild revealed. . .
Gender Reveal parties are definitely a fun idea and I highly recommend having at least 1, but if you’re like me and looking for something a little more low-key and personal, here’s some unique ideas I’ve found that might help spark your creativity!
- It’s All In The Cupcake: Have your doctor send over the gender to your favorite local bakery. (We recommend Society Bakery!) Have them create some generic flavored cupcakes like vanilla or lemon, and let them fill the cupcakes with a colored creme. When you and your guests go to bite into the cupcakes, you’ll discover a surprise of blue or pink! For a more modern twist, do the same to your favorite flavored cake balls from Creme de la Cookie! (You won’t regret it!)
- Release the Balloons: Have your sono-tech or doctor write down your baby’s gender and hid it in an envelope to be entrusted to a close friend or relative who can keep a secret. Have them fill a large box with helium balloons in either pink or blue. When the time comes, open the box in front of a small audience of your choice. To make the occasion more fun, choose a perfect picnic location like Cottonwood Park in Richardson or Celebration Park in Allen. Don’t forget to have someone capture the moment with pictures!
- It’s all in the Decor: If you have a crafty family, and are willing to release some control, choose your favorite baby room themes for a boy and a girl. When the big day comes, have your sono-tech or doctor write down the gender and place in an envelope to give to a member of your family. Allow them to come into your baby’s nursery and decorate according to your selected theme. When they’ve completed the project, it will all be revealed! (Here’s some inspiration on how this is done!)
- King’s Cake Twist: If you’re willing to be patient, try a twist on the popular Mardi Gras dessert; only instead of a small Baby Jesus hidden in the cake hide a small pink or blue baby trinket. When your guests are ready for dessert, someone will get a surprise when they discover the gender of your baby first! (Warning: Make sure to warn people in advance they’re looking for an object. Having a guest choke on a plastic rattle or bib would ruin the fun!)
- Pop! Pop! Pop!: If you don’t mind the mess, have your local party store fill dark colored balloons with a fun baby-themed confetti in either blue or pink! (If you trust your party supplier, you can have give them the envelope from your doctor or sono-tech or have a close family member or friend be in charge.) When you’re ready to reveal, get the safety pins ready and pop away! You’ll be showered in your baby’s gender!
- Not 1, but 2: (I stole this from my brother & sister-in law’s.) Have some really big news to share with your family? Over dinner, present each family member with some fun little gifts. . . 2 Pack of erasers, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, 2 pack of children’s chalk, a pair of socks. a 2 pack of batteries, etc. See how long it takes them to figure out that there’s not just 1, but 2 of each item! Instead of being surprised by the gender, you can reveal there’s a double surprise!
These were just a few fun ideas I found through some internet searches, and ideas I’d thought about on my own. What I love about each of these is that you can choose to do them as a surprise for your husband and yourself or as a surprise to your family and friends. Make them your own, and let your creativity flow!
What are some ways you revealed your baby’s gender?