I am married to a Frenchman who is very snotty about French restaurants not located in France! His rule of thumb is if the word “French” is in the name or a French Flag in the logo… steer clear! He also prefers to dine at restaurants that have an authentic French chef. That being said, I thought I would do a post to share our (aka HIS) favorite French-approved restaurants in Dallas!
- Cadot – I completely judged this Plano shopping strip restaurant until we stepped inside and conversed with the French chef, Jean-Marie Cadot. Everything here is made from scratch (fait maison) and is absolutely delicious! On the weekends they have a live accordion player who will wander table to table and play romantic tunes for you and your significant other. So romantic and delicious! Definitely a special occasion place.
- Lavendou – We were introduced to this gem in Plano on a double date. The atmosphere was very authentic French (which I can attest to since we lived there for 2 years) and the food was delicious! They have a great international wine selection and the Frenchman loved his veau (veal) dish and I loved our chocolate soufflé for dessert!
- St. Martins – We visited St. Martins during Valentine’s Day one year with a preset menu complete with wine pairings. Located on Lower Greenville it has a really fun vibe and is very lively at night with the San Francisco Rose located right next door. Make sure to order a Kir Royale while you wait at the bar and listen to live music! (Kir Royale is cassis or raspberry liqueur with champagne. You will not regret it!)
- Rise No 1 – If you have not been to this Dallas hot spot, you MUST go! From the indoor twinkly lights in the trees to the incredible soufflés, this restaurant will not disappoint! It has a great atmosphere for a birthday dinner, date night, or special celebration. I spotted George W. and Laura Bush here one time which was added bonus! Make sure you get the marshmallow soup and try a flight of wine (including champagne) or beer!
Boulevardier – Tucked away in Bishop Arts District this place was incredible. The wine selection is extensive and the wait staff was especially knowledgeable and helpful! Although not super French, they do offer a GREAT selection of seafood including several oyster dishes, mussels and Gulf shrimp. Make sure to order the French onion soup!
- Mercat Bistro – A great little gem located in Uptown. Quaint and small, perfect for a date night! The food wasn’t the BEST we’ve had (although the Frenchman loved his coq-au-vin) and it is a bit on the pricier side, but the ambiance and location are really great.
If you have any others to add to this list, please comment below! We would LOVE to try them out on our next date night!